A recent poll completed by a UK based online travel agency showed that some 25% of all marriage proposals between people from the United Kingdom happen when they are on holiday abroad. The beach is the most likely place for proposals to take place, and particularly in the Caribbean, which is quickly becoming one of the most romantic holiday destinations.
The first question in the poll was “Where did the marriage proposal take place?”. A list of popular answers was provided, as well as an “other” option. Those who chose this option would then be able to specify their own location. The following five places came out as being the most popular locations for a proposal:
- At home, with 26% of respondents choosing this.
- On holiday abroad, with 23% of respondents choosing this.
- In a restaurant in the UK, with 16% of respondents choosing this.
- Somewhere scenic in the UK, with 11% of respondents choosing this.
- Over the telephone, with 8% of respondents choosing this.
Those who had chosen the holiday abroad proposal option were then asked to divulge more details about the circumstances of the proposal itself. Various interesting responses were provided, and the top 5 most common ones were:
- On the beach, with 42% of people choosing this.
- During a meal, with 21% of people choosing this.
- In their hotel room or other accommodation, with 12% of people choosing this.
- On a busy street, with 9% of people choosing this.
- At a scenic viewpoint, such as a hill side, top of a building and so on, with 7% of people choosing this.
Interestingly, more than half (51%) of those questioned stated that their holiday proposal was done very publicly in terms of the number of people that were able to witness it. At the same time, however, 22% of those who answered they got engaged abroad specified that it was a spur of the moment thing, meaning there was no grand gesture with rings.
The survey also revealed the five top places for proposals to take place, being:
- The Caribbean – 26% of cases
- America – 13% of cases
- France – 11% of cases
- Italy – 11% of cases
- Spain – 5% of cases
“What better place to pop the question then on holiday?”, says Chris Clarkson, Managing Director of Sunshine.co.uk. “You’re both bound to be at your happiest and most relaxed – unless you’re the one doing the asking, which case you could end up a bag of nerves! However, the settings on offer during a holiday are often hard to beat.”
“Whether you’re at the top of the Empire State Building, about to be hurled into the atmosphere on Space Mountain or on a secluded beach watching a sunset; it certainly beats proposing over a pint and a packet of crisps down the local pub”, adds Chris Clarkson. “The Caribbean is clearly a favourite place for romance to strike, so those heading there this year with their significant other could perhaps be coming back engaged.”
(Photo source: traveldailynews.com)
Article written by Boris